Thursday 30 June 2011

Day Three

I woke up this morning, not quite as full of pepper as I'd hoped.

The metallic taste in my mouth isn't as strong as it was. Same with the headache. Getting to a state of verticality seems like quite an effort. The point of waking up is the end of the longest gap between tablets. I'd done some reading which mentioned a 'come down' effect, feeling lethargic and possibly irritable as the drug winds down in the bloodstream.

I'm also conscious of the energy I had yesterday, and the sense of belief that this was going to work out for me. Only over a longer period am I going to find out what all the effects will be. So I'm going to aim to blog everyday for the first fourteen days, and then weekly after that until things settle down into a pattern.

It can take months to sort out the correct dosage for an individual, and sometimes after that time a particular medication may not be working, so a new one is tried, and the process can start again.

Even if I don't have quite the lift I had yesterday, I can take something from the fact that I'm writing this blog again, and I'm about to do some invoicing of clients. These are good signs.

Two hours later, and no invoicing completed. I'm remembering it now, but I must have lost track of that thought about five minutes after I had written that. I've taking to having a bright green sticky note on my computer monitor. It reads "What am I meant to be doing?" Little things like this can provide excellent, non-medication ways of helping to stay on track.

However the rest of this, the third day, becomes harder and harder. My mood is crashing downwards, and around early evening I'm out of energy to put things right. I'm learning not to fight this - I put the little energy I have left into making plans for the next day. Getting work ready to execute the next day, and having an early night are two ways to help ensure there's a minimal amount of downtime between productive periods.

I forget to take the evening tablet, and only realise before going to sleep.

I leave a note for myself about what I want to do the next day. Even with today being somewhat of a write-off, this is still an improvement on life pre-Ritalin.


No comments:

Post a Comment